Care of your Liver
What does the liver do ?
The liver is a factory.
- The liver makes necessary proteins for the body.
- Coagulation factors, proteins that help the blood to clot.
- Bile production: absorb food and eliminate toxins.
- Bile carries bilirubin out of the body.
- Hormone production
The liver is a waste treatment plant
- Metabolizes alcohol and other drugs and chemicals
- Neutralizes and destroys poisonous substances.
- Filters blood coming from the gut carrying digested food
How can one damage the liver?
- Herbal supplements
- Extra pounds
- Soft drinks
- Sedentary life style
- Viral liver diseases
- Less alcohol than you may think
The Changing World
- By 2025, obesity will increase by 45% in the developed world and 150% in the developing world
- By 2030, diabetes will increase by 32% in Europe, 75% in Unites States, 150% in Asia, Africa and Middle East
- Prevalence of NAFLD will rise in epidemic proportions
Diabetes and the liver
- Liver cirrhosis is one of the most common cause of death in diabetics
- Liver cancer risk increases four fold in diabetics
- Acute liver failure – 2X more
- Patients with Hepatitis C are twice as likely to have Diabetes
How to love your liver – 3 easy ways
- Drink in moderation
- Take 3 days off alcohol every week to give your liver a chance to repair itself
- Avoid alcohol if you are pregnant or trying to conceive
- Eat a healthy balanced diet and drinking plenty of water
- Plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, reducing portion sizes and cutting down on fat and sugar intake
- A total of 30 minutes of exercise a day
- Get vaccinated against Hepatitis B
- Do not share personal items like toothbrushes, razors, nail scissors or tweezers/ practise safe sex
- Ensure hospitals /clinics always using clean needles, syringes and other equipment.